Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Car Converse

It is always fun to pick Taylin up (yep...ALL...three days so far) and hear about her day. They will be spending the first few days/weeks learning how things work. I am already getting this response:


Me: "What did you do today?"



Taylin: "The same thing we did yesterday?"



After further prying we get a little more. She met her principal today and he read them a book. She liked the book. Instead of asking her what she did today, I have tried to change it up (i.e. What was your favorite part of the day? Was there anything challenging or uncomfortable about today? etc.). I am sure they did so much, she won't want to explain every detail (Of course that is what I am looking for, although I would never admit it.) after an full day.


My favorite is the conversations the kids have. Taylin will be so excited to see them and ask them about their day. She then asks if they missed her in the sweetest way. The conversation with Cohen went like this today *chuckle*.



Taylin: "Did you miss me today?"

Cohen: "Yes."

*pause*

Cohen: "umm, no. I didn't cry when I got home."

Taylin in all seriousness: "Well you will cry tomorrow. Cuz you are going to miss me. I am going to be gone ALL day." (They have only been going until 1PM...now they will go until 3PM with the rest of the students.)



That was much better than yesterday after school. I made my poor girl cry. Yep! I didn't word my questions just right. I noticed she had marinara sauce on her cheek. I didn't pack anything that might leave that mark. I investigated a little. Come to find out she didn't hear the teacher when it was time to put her lunch in the lunch bin. When it was time to go to lunch her lunch was still in her backpack. She didn't realize anything different until they were already in the middle of their journey to lunch (yes, it is a journey with several kindergartners). I don't know exactly how everything went, but she ended up getting a lunch from the cafeteria. She felt bad. I was frustrated about a few things that were out of Taylin's control. She felt it a little bit. One, I made sure to go to the store late Monday night to make sure she had a good lunch the next day. Two, she had her lunch...why couldn't they get it. I do understand they don't want to take 12 plus kids back to get their lunch. Ho hum! $2, no biggy and her lunch was made for the next day. It isn't hard. They hardly eat a thing!




I know I have shared a lot about Taylin starting school. It has changed the dynamics of our day drastically. We are adjusting and learning how to organize our day. Half day feels like we are at the school all day. This morning we wanted to go to a library after we dropped her off. I went to two thinking they just might have different hours. Nope, Phoenix libraries don't open until 11AM Mon, Wed, Fri. They do open at 9AM Tues, Thurs, Sat. That was a lot of driving for nothing. I think it has to do with the infamous "Culture Pass." It is pretty neat you can check out museum admissions. It is a first come first serve basis. There was a family waiting at 930AM. I know it is free, but no thanks! An hour and a half in AZ heat...three kids, phew! All that was left after I picked Taylin up from school was the Heard Museum. David and I would enjoy it, but the kids might be done after 15 minutes. I guess it wouldn't matter...free...and didn't have to wait. Someday I will figure that out. I was frustrated, because we didn't get anything done in an hour.




In honor of our unproductive hour this morning, I let the kids go "swimming" when we got home from the library.
She was mad, because I wouldn't let her take the camera to the pool. I know! I am the meanest mom ever. She is pretty good at this. She tests my will power. Of course giving her the cookie or camera (not so cheap) or whatever else would be easier. That is what she wants me to think.

2 comments:

santino, polly and little dude Eli said...

Hey, this one post has so much going on...

First of all, I love Taylin and Cohen's conversation... they are so hilarious! Thanks for sharing. I got a good laugh.

Next, we heard about the Heard Museum and would like to go check it out sometimes too.

Love your big pool in the backyard!

Janene said...

You made it! I've been wondering about how it went! I have to say, that last year when Carson started I got A LOT out of him (basically a play-by-play) the first day, but it's amazing how quickly that stops. :) I"m impressed that you knew it was coming before hand. And I loved Taylin and Cohen's conversation too. Too cute!