Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy New Year!

Indeed!




Wow, what a month. Not bad though. This was the lightest month (development) for David since we started. He learned in several different areas than the usual, but the hours were great. He even got me interested in more schooling for myself. Very much a thought right now. I am interested in looking into Developmental Psychology or something of the sort. Definitely down the road.




Another marvelous addition to the month: David had a week off. It was the rejuvenating month that we needed. It seems like we have been going, going, going, since David put his request in for Residency last February. It was one thing after another and all out of our comfort zone with a crazy schedule. This month we were able to carry conversations without dosing off, children interruptions or planning the next big thing. You can almost always count on good weather to enjoy the great outdoors. I say almost, because it rained most of the time. This meant flash flooding and snow storms in Flagstaff. We were going to go to California (Knotts Berry Farm) or sled in the mountains of Flagstaff.




Instead we laid low and felt a little normal. We enjoyed each other's company. We found a wonderful yogurt joint. We also got to hang out with some great friends from medical school who are here in Phoenix too. There are not many miles between us (like 20 Max), but our schedules and energy haven't matched up. We went to Makutu's Island. It is a huge indoor tree house. The kids had fun and David and Santino had a blast too. Polly and I made a few rounds. I was a bit claustrophobic in the tight, dark spaces not made for big humans. A memory worth noting! It was good to see Polly, Santino and their little Eli who is almost one...already!

Taylin had a great report at her parent/teacher conference. We wanted to make sure she wasn't bored. Her teacher is great and very aware of her talents and abilities. She tries to challenge Taylin where she sees fit. Taylin enjoyed her 6th birthday last December! Oh my! She has also grown an inch and a half since school started. She is growing leaps and bounds. David was able to have lunch with her one day his week off. Taylin kept asking him to stay. He stayed for recess and played in the sandbox with the kids. He then went to the classroom during math. It is hard to leave. They both enjoyed their time together.

Taylin was so excited about the 100th day of Kindergarten. That was this week. She has been talking about it for some time. I was volunteering in her classroom twice a month last term. This term I decided I would volunteer a little less in the classroom. As much as I would like to be there more, it was too much on top of the things I was taking home to do. I still have a quilt to work on with squares the kids made. I am lacking motivation. I did get up to her classroom to help with 100th day. I remembered doing 100th day with my kindergartners during student teaching. The kids were cute. They stayed busy counting and understanding how much was 100. One activity was: What would you buy with one hundred dollars? One of Taylin's best friends asked me if she could buy Taylin. Cute! I agreed she could borrow Taylin for free. This same gal drew herself at 100years old (another activity where they drew a picture of themselves and then wrinkled the paper). She said she already knew what she would look like when she was 33, her grandmother. The concept of quantity and amount is not nailed down yet, but very cute. It was a fun day had by all.

We look forward to the second half of intern year and hope to spread our wings a little more. Thank you all for your support and understanding. It isn't a walk in the park, but we are growing and learning so much. We are loving it too!

2 comments:

Stamp With Linz said...

Glad you got some family time. I love T's glasses! :)

Polly said...

Hey, it was great to hang out with you guys, too! (and now I read about it and finally realized why you were responding much of my request of going up together... haha, sorry I am a little slow.) Thanks for posting the picture, I have been meaning to ask you about it! :)