Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bottom of the Barrel Chicken (Mexican)

By bottom of the barrel, I mean: I really should have gone to the store by now. Three days ago would have been the best plan. What kind of creations can we have for dinner that meet the following criteria: 1. The kids will eat it. 2. Thinking outside of the box (a.k.a., cereal, pancakes or pb/j) 3. Use the fresh ingredients without putting them in an omelet. 4. Be creative with what we have.


At least that is what went through my head while staring into my pantry and fridge. Well, three out of the five were fans. The two that weren't fans are mostly just fans of #2 listed above and Mac & Cheese, which was served on the side. David's judgment is yet to come. He is working late tonight. Here is what I came up with. I am sharing, because I thought it was tasty myself. A definite repeat.





Ingredients:

About 4 Boneless Skinless chicken breasts (cut into half fillets)

2 T balsamic vinegar

1 to 2 t. Lemon Pepper

1T evoo

1 red bell pepper (diced)

1 med onion (diced)

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

2 minced garlic cloves

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 t. soy sauce

1 lemon or lime (I used lemon tonight, but think a lime might give it a little more zest)






Putting it all together:

Marinate chicken with balsamic vinegar and lemon pepper for 30 minutes to an hour.

Heat evoo in pan on med.

Sautee chicken until browned on the outside.

Add chicken broth, bell peppers, onion, cilantro and garlic.

After a few minutes of cooking with chicken, shred/cut/separate chicken while in pan.
Add lemon and soy sauce. Cook on low for five more minutes.





We didn't tonight, because of the lack of prep/ingredients...I think it would be tasty with tortillas and or some shredded monteray jack cheese sprinkled on top. We always have a can of beans and frozen corn around for sides. A complete meal! Yummy!





*The measurements were an estimate, since I used what was at the bottom of my barrel. Feel free to make it your own.*

3 comments:

Eric and Aubrey said...

You're way more creative with "bottom of the barrel" than I am. Way to go! What the heck is evoo?

DNAgallows said...

I did get lucky on the fresh veggies I had left...they still had some life to them and not scary slime, bleck! evoo = extra virgin olive oil.

Beth said...

I want dinner at your house!