Thursday, March 24, 2011

Love Notes and Sidewalk Chalk

Overall today was a good day.  Cohen and I were having a great afternoon.  He even compromised on some things.  I did as well.  The weather has been beautiful.  With the breeze flowing through the house with open windows and doors, I highly encouraged the kids to play outside.  This is where I try to let Cohen be adventurous.  I have to keep a close eye on him (I try to catch it before his sisters come to tell me...which they will.)  We haven't invested in any playground equipment, because we aren't interested in hauling it or paying for it and leaving it.  The kids used to have a sand box until the cats decided to take over it.  The kids have to be a little creative...which they don't lack.  Cohen was being mischievous
and doing everything he knew he wasn't supposed to from peeing on things to climbing in trash cans and throwing things on neighbors' rooftops.  So I confined him to the space in the yard which I could see him.  To Cohen I was a "child-working,...slave-drving,...trash-mashing, rubbish odor ogre,...thundering humorless tyrant" (excerpt from "Mars Needs Moms")He wasn't happy about this and left me a note on the sidewalk: "I don't like you, Mom!"  No matter how upset, that breaks my heart.  Not to mention, I don't enjoy sidewalk chalk as much here, because it doesn't ran much.  The art or messages stay forever.  That isn't something I want to stick around forever. 

We still had a hard time seeing eye to eye the rest of the evening.  After dinner, I took off to a visiting teaching appointment.  David bathed and put them to bed.  As hard as I tried to get home to tuck them in, chances were slim.  The boys fall asleep quickly.  I can always count on Taylin reading and Kennedy having a few last requests before snuggling into bed and staying there.  I went to tuck the boys in and turn out their lights.  The kids love their doodle boards.  Every night I retrieve a book or a doodle board off the beds.  Tonight, Cohen was fast asleep with his doodle board across his chest.  The kids like to leave notes for David when they don't see him at night.  I knew Cohen possibly had a picture or a note.  I dreaded I might get another dreaded note similar to the one sketched with chalk.  I turned the board over to read a message written in a "text box" he had drawn:  "Dear Mom, I love you so much! Cohen"  So forgiving!  I wish he were awake to know I was squeezing him and giving him kisses.  I hope he sees my note in the morning.  I went to see the note outside and it was smeared in an attempt to erase it.  Love you, Bud!

No comments: