Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Candy Man or the Prophet

A little background:
  

Growing up I remember a few candy men at church.  One ward was so crowded, I never knew who placed the cinnamon candy in my hand. 

I am sure I eventually figured it out.  This isn't something we are comfortable with today--taking candy from strangers.  I am sure we were a little leery until my parents knew who it was and said it was okay to eat the candies.  We were trusting as we were at church. 
 

My Dad carried mints of his own.  A few years later and a few wards later, he too became a candy man.  What else do men need many large suit pockets for?  He had the Brach's Spearmint or the Lifesaver Spearmint.  All individually wrapped...safe as far as I am concerned.  I remembered him packing his pockets without looking like he was wearing a chipmunk suit. 



 
 
In our current Phoenix ward we have a candy man as well.  The kids spied the candy before they spied the candy man.  They couldn't figure it out, until we walked in the other door.  Our friendly greeter was the one sharing sweetarts or smarties.  
One Sunday, Kennedy asked this Brother where he got all the candy that he passed out.  His reply was, "I get it from the candy fairy of course."  She was satisfied with that answer.
 
A few weeks later we were having family home evening.  In our discussion we asked Kennedy who the prophet was.  Kennedy's response was, "That man that gives us candy on Sunday from the candy fairy."  I sort of see the resemblance.  We took to her thoughtful reply, but couldn't resist to fall into a giggling fest.  She too was laughing along. 

We clarified that wasn't our prophet, yet a very kind man.  I am sure President Monson has handed out several pieces of candy himself as well as his never ending acts of service.  I am thankful for a prophet today, Thomas S. Monson.  He is a mouthpiece to the Lord.  We are able to be led by his direction per God just as prophets of old, Noah, Moses, etc. He speaks truths and guides us just as God would if he were on the earth.  I am grateful for a loving God who has not left us without such communication and direct revelation for what we need today.  We all enjoyed conference at the beginning of the month to hear from our prophet and other inspired leaders who have been called of God. 

President Thomas S. Monson

I am looking forward to listening to David speak on Sunday about latter-day prophets...as well as reading To the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson  by Heidi Swinton.















































 


No comments: