Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Naughty or Nice

I know I shouldn't, but I do use Santa's Naughty and Nice list this time of the year for behavior.  It is a little too convenient and it puts fear in my kids.  One day, Cohen was having a rough morning.  David was out doing some Christmas shopping, so I "threatened" to text David and let him know Cohen was not behaving and that would affect his list.  Cohen didn't improve and had quite the scowl on his face.  I went low and mentioned he would just get a lump of coal in his stocking.  I cringed...poor kid, I love him too much to leave him with nothing.  He went to his room to cool off for a bit. 

He came out and was doing better.  Then he was mad at me and said, "I am going to put a chunk of ice in your stocking."  I tried not to laugh.  Then we laughed together.

This conversation seemed to make an impact on Kennedy.  The other day I upset her.  I am so mean.  I think I said she couldn't do something or she had to take a nap.  Awful!  Well, she respond with a few tears and frustrated comments.  Then she gave me the ultimatum, "I am going to put ice cream in your stocking!"

I smiled and said, "MMM, that would be wonderful!"  Then we laughed.  I love how they pick up on things.  I am sad it started with coal, but turned into laughter and a stocking full of ice cream.  We are enjoying our holidays.  The season of charity and generosity has been working in our home.  More love and generous bouts of laughter. 

No comments: