The summer came and went. I enjoyed having the kids home. We had hoped we would make it to Texas to visit, but we decided to repair David's car with a new ac air compressor. We did some summer projects here and there and swimming once a week, at least. We had a sister I visit taught offer to have us swim at their condo pool followed by snow cones. It was nice to get to know her better. She is very sweet. The snow cones helped to coax the kiddos out of the pool when the sunblock was wearing off.
Project 1: Eggs that mom left in the van.
Boil them or drain them and paint them.
Variety of outcomes. We all had fun!
We had two extras for David to paint when he returned home. The King and Queen.
What did we do with the eggs a few days later, because they don't last forever. What would you do? Toss them in the trash? Well we decided to draw a target on the wall and throw them. Then collect the pieces and toss them in the trash, right?! That is what we crazy Galloways did.
We all got a try. Cohen had the ultimate and unexpected wind up....
...SPLAT!
Project 2: Dreamy DotsWe went on a walk as early as we could get moving before melting. We went to collect rocks at our favorite cat drop off. That is another story. Sorry cat lovers. We had numerous stray cats in and out of our yard making a mess of our sand box. It is costly to call animal control, so we caught them ourselves and relocated them. It didn't take long to find rocks...we live in Phoenix in which that is the popular landscaping. We brought them home and washed them.
Then we painted them. We had followed the dot method as done by Aborigines long ago. Some varied from the original technique from our original model. David made a Phoenix souvenir. I made a sun and snake. Kennedy started a zig-zag snake. I finished it.
Phoenix in the day.
Taylin would have painted dozens if we let her. She really enjoyed this project.
Cohen completed a lizard and night sky. Teague started a turtle and I followed up with the details. He basically painted the orange and started the turtle stencil. He enjoyed mixing the paint on the mailers we had spread out on the table. All smiles and fun!
We will probably keep David's for a souvenir. The rest might be relocated. I am not sure of the environmental soundness of that. I will check before doing so and before moving.
Project 3: Mosaic Painting
This project had multiple steps to it. Taylin was the only one that made it to the final draft. The first step was too cut out cardboard pieces into various shapes of all sizes. Then they would lay them out on the paper in a chosen design. They pieces were then traced and pieces were removed. Then paint. Taylin had a plan from the beginning of her cutting. She did a great job executing her work. It took a few days, but she was pleased with her painting. Kennedy cut a few pieces and was done. Cohen cut out some shapes with a plan. He set them aside and that is where they stayed until weeks went by and he completely forgot about it and I recycled them.
I thought it would be fun to get a puzzle out and work on it as a family. The kids love puzzles. Kennedy and Taylin are huge fans. I thought why not a big one we can all enjoy. David grumbled and wondered what I was thinking. The kids lasted only a few minutes wondering how long it would take to finish this 1,000 piece puzzle. We had to transfer it to a board, so we could eat. Guess who got into it the most...David. He had his set up on our counter. He transplanted his desk lamp beside it for the best lighting for all the different hues. We would do a few pieces here and there. We felt victorious after completing sections. Some nights we would listen to talks on the computer while putting pieces in or chatting about the day. It was a nice little side project to bring us together.
After we finished the large Thomas Kinkade puzzle we bought a box of 8 Disney puzzles for the kids to enjoy too. The box had a variety of piece sets from 100 to 500, I believe. This is one Taylin finished. If we have one out when you stop by, feel free to pop a few pieces into place. It is more addicting than you think.
This I had to add. The kids really are imaginative. I don't always know why we have toys. They got out the winter garb, in the triple digit days to "ice skate" on our linoleum floors. Kennedy can often be found changing out of her clothes we started the day with into a swimsuit or leotard. Taylin came up with the hats on each foot held up by elastic headlights. They came in handy while skating in the dark. So funny!
Cohen would pull the hats all the way over his face, sit in a basket and insist he was a race car driver. I didn't get it, but I sure enjoyed the entertainment.
We didn't go far and big, but we tried to stay inventive as we went along. I will also post of our camping trip a little north to find some temperature relief. We had numerous projects planned, but we didn't make it through all of them. We also attended the library once a week for some new books and a show they would do for the kids...in the air conditioning and free (clown, balloon story teller, Hula dancers, puppet show, animals, etc). They all used stories and books to share their events to emphasize reading. The kids participated in the summer reading program and all got their prizes. We have 16 rubber ducks and four lanyards. I am glad my kids are already interested and motivated to read, because that wasn't a motivating factor.
The month of July, we tried to stay out of the house as much as possible. This would have been a great month to head to Texas. David was on night float, meaning he worked nights all month. He then was sleeping during the day. Note to whoever does the schedule. Scheduling a father of four to work nights and sleep days during the summer is not nice. We were able to see him more. He had weekends for the most part off. Then he would sleep until the kids woke from their naps...if not a little earlier. We had dinners together. I can't complain about the time we had with him. That also made me glad we didn't leave. The hardest, quite torturous part the daytime while he was sleeping. No kids in school and too hot outside to send them outside or go to a park. I also felt bad for David sleeping during the day. The air tries to keep the house cool, but our room is the warmest. Anytime between August and May would have worked great! We survived, even though I was exhausted from say, "Shh, Daddy is sleeping." We enjoyed each other's company and creativity. The kids were very excited to go back to school and see their friends. We had hoped to have them over, but that might not have helped for a good days sleep.
I think the kids will remember this summer. Taylin and Kennedy took off on swimming. Cohen became more comfortable with getting in the water with life preserver at all times. He got to where he would jump in with no one nearby. Teague would hang out around the pool and sit on a step in the pool every once in a while. At the end of the summer I did get him to come in with me. Getting wet was a big deal. They all improved their confidence at their own pace. David and I are very proud of them. David even took up swimming with interest to sign up for a Sprint Triathlon soon. To be announced when it happens. He has also been working hard at running. A 5K is no big deal to him now.
It was a productive summer. We are looking forward to the Fall (September-January...just a reminder for us, because it cools to a more comfortable temp, but visually doesn't change a ton).











No comments:
Post a Comment